Distinctive Group

This year marks a milestone for St Richard’s Hospice as it celebrates 40 years of providing free, expert specialist care and support to patients, their families and bereaved people across Worcestershire.

From very small beginnings, the vision to set up a hospice in south Worcestershire became a reality in 1984. There are now 256 staff and 676 volunteers who make St Richard’s what it is today, with support from local communities – including businesses – playing a crucial part in the hospice’s story.

Fundraising Director, Tricia Cavell said, “Everyone within our community should feel proud of their part in ensuring St Richard’s has been able to grow and care for many thousands of people at a very difficult time in their lives. We remain an independent charity and throughout the years our total focus has always been with the patient, their carers and the people they love. This remains our top priority as we look to the next decades.”

“It’s heart-warming to hear the feedback from so many people about the impact our care has made on their lives over many years. It is our privilege to care and long may we do so into the future.”

“We know life does not stand still and St Richard’s cannot stand still. We embrace the future and look forward to caring for life, together, for many more decades.”

Looking ahead

Tricia explained, “These are challenging times for raising funds as our community and hospice are hit by the rising cost of living. Voluntary support, including from donations, legacies, retail and events raises 78% of our income with the remaining 22% from the NHS. For each £1 we spend, 84p goes to our care and support of patients, families and loved ones.

“We have robust strategic plans in place to enable us to deliver our purpose and vision of ‘Caring for life, together’ sustainably to meet the needs of our community. Those plans include delivering another art trail this summer, turning Worcester into a fun, free exhibition space once again.”

Raising awareness of and funds for St Richard’s, the great Waddle of Worcester will see 80 penguins slide into hearts and camera rolls.

Following the success of two previous partnerships with Wild in Art, the charity’s third art trail will celebrate the support shown by the local community in its fortieth year. From 22 July to 15 September 2024, Worcester will be transformed by the arrival of 40 super-sized penguin sculptures plus 40 chicks painted by schools and community groups.

Located alongside some of the city’s most iconic landmarks, each large penguin will be uniquely designed by artists from the region and beyond, providing a fantastic, family-friendly trail for locals and visitors to follow.

A trail map and App will direct avid art adventurers across the trail, which is fully accessible and can be reached via public transport. As each sculpture on the App is unlocked, more will be revealed about the trail and the brr-illiant city of Worcester.

Whilst exciting and inspiring people of all ages to celebrate the local area through creativity, the trail will shine a light on hospice care and the vital services provided to the whole community. When the trail ends, the super-sized penguins will be auctioned to raise funds for St Richard’s.

“Our past two trails raised, after costs, more than £700,000 combined for our care. So, as well as offering a summer of fun locally, these events help make a real difference to patients, their families and bereaved people.” Tricia, added.

Why penguins?

Penguins are some of the most loveable and loyal creatures on the planet. When the cold winds blow they know they’re better off together; huddling close to look after their neighbour. After four decades caring for patients and loved ones, nothing captures the spirit of St Richard’s better than these beautiful creatures.

Looking forward to the great Waddle of Worcester

St Richard’s is excited to be working with Wild in Art once again along with Presenting Partners; Crowngate, DRPG, Worcester City Council and Worcestershire Ambassadors, Community and Education Partner; Worcester BID and Media Partners; the Worcester News and BBC Hereford & Worcester.